First published by Andersen Press in 1989, Elmer the Patchwork Elephant™ is a world-famous picture book character created by David McKee. Elmer features in over 30 books, helping children to learn about friendship and to accept and celebrate being different. Elmer’s distinctive bright patchwork pattern is a fixture in homes, nurseries and schools internationally.
- Translated into 50 languages, over 8 million copies of Elmer have been sold; 4.5 million in the UK
- Book sales are growing strongly : up 27% year on year
- Andersen Press is publishing seven new titles in 2019
- Licensing is over 100% up year on year.
- Products include : Plush (Rainbow Designs), melamine (Petit Jour), greetings & wrap (Hype), toys (Milly & Flynn) baby apparel (Dennicci, JoJo Maman Bebe), toddler nightwear (Blues, Cooneen, Aykroyds) and dress-up (Christy’s, Travis)
- In Jan 17, Elmer launched into babywear with great success. Baby and pre-school apparel featured in Tu at Sainsbury’s, M&Co and JoJo Maman Bebe.
- In Jan 18, a third babywear range launched in Tu at Sainsbury’s together with a second range in JoJo Maman Bebe, May 2018. A further range for TU will launch in Nov 2018, followed by another in Spring 2019.
- Collaborations with Belo and Me, Lil’ Cubs, and Eva & Indie will be launched in 2019 to celebrate Elmer’s 30th birthday together with a backpack from LifeMarque.
- There are a number of Elmer styles launching in time for World Book Day 2019.
- National Elmer stage show (Rockerfeller Productions) starts in 2018
- Christy’s and Travis launch new Elmer costumes for World Book Day 2019
Elmer’s 30th Birthday in 2019!
Many events and activities are planned in support of Elmer’s 30th Birthday. These include an Elmer’s Big Art Parade elephant trail with Wild in Art and a David McKee retrospective art exhibition and tour. There is the opportunity for special 30th Birthday licensing and retail exclusives. Talk to us about how you can join in the celebrations during Elmer’s special year.
For more information about Elmer, please contact Claire Potter